Little Crom Cottages - History of Fermanagh
Enniskillen is the County Town of Fermanagh and is located at the junction of Upper and Lower Lough Erne. The town centre is in fact located on an island in the Erne waterway with a number of bridges connecting it to the main thoroughfares. The main historic attractions within the town include the Fermanagh History and Heritage Centre and the Regimental Museum of the Iniskilling Fusiliers. The Heritage Centre contains artifacts on local farming and manufacturing, whilst the museum is packed with medals, guns and uniforms of the fusiliers and the dragoon guards.
Fermanagh has a long history of Christian settlements yet the religion was slow to penetrate the local pagan culture. Viking and Norman invaders couldn't subdue the region and even the Tudors were unable to do so until after 1600 - this was when Enniskillen fell to the English. Planters quickly moved in and a series of castles were established. Enniskillen was soon transformed into a centre of colonial power. Strategically its importance to the British led to the town possessing two royal regiments.
The following sites in Co Fermanagh have an historic interest and are well worth visiting:
Aghalurcher Church, Lisnaskea, Co Fermanagh
A 12th century carving of a figure bearing book and cross, which may once have adorned a now-vanished tomb-shrine of St. Ronan, is now exhibited in the Fermanagh County Museum in the Castle at Enniskillen.
One of the chief glories of Florence Court is the exceptional embellished rococo plasterwork, seen at its best at the top of the stairs and in the dining room. This probably dates from 1755 and is in the style of Robert West, Dublin's leading 18th century stuccodore. The house contains fine Irish furniture including an 18th century rococo armchair in the library, an Irish writing cabinet which dates from 1730 and an unusual 18th century bed.
The interior of the house was created by some of the leading craftsmen of the late 18th century with chimney pieces carved by Westmacott, plasterwork created by Rose, scagliola columns and pilasters created by Bartoli. Highlights of a tour of Castle Coole are the magnificent state rooms with their sumptuous Regency furnishings. These include the State Bedroom, said to have been prepared for a visit by George IV in 1821.
The surrounding 700 acre estate is a fitting setting for the house, with parkland, Lough Coole and extensive woods.
Enniskillen Castle presents an array of 19th century barracks buildings surrounding the Medieval Castle Keep; to the south with its distinctive turrets is the 17th century Watergate and to the east is the Heritage Centre built in 1992. Throughout the 16th century the junior branch of the Maguires ruled Fermanagh from Enniskillen Castle, their stronghold being captured and retaken many times by the O'Donnells, O'Neills and the English.
The Heritage Centre exhibits the collections of the County Museum in award winning displays enhanced by audio visual programmes about Fermanagh's history, wildlife and landscapes. There are also special exhibitions throughout the year.
Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers Regimental Museum